25 Personal Questions
1. Name, Nickname, Birthday?
Garfield Buckley - August 30th
Where were you born?
I’m a Brit – London, England
Where were you raised?
It seems like I’ve been travelling all my life. I was raised in England, moved to Jamaica for a few years and then decided to live the American dream. I finally became a US citizen in 2010!
2. What is your family background? (Nationality)Family? (Siblings, married, children,etc.)
My parents are from Jamaica, West Indies. I have two sisters, two brothers and a nephew. We were all born in England.
3. Before the band you were… and if you were not singing what would you be doing?
I used to work as a computer technician in an architectural firm in NYC, but if I wasn’t with Naturally 7 right now I’d probably still be doing something tech-involved. But really, I feel like we were all destined to sing and perform. I’d still sing even if there was just one person out there listening to me.
4. What is your voice part and your “vocal play” specialty?
I’m 2nd Tenor and my specialty is the Harmonica.
5. What is your vocal range?
C2 to F
6. What is the best thing and what is the hardest thing being in N7?
The best thing being with N7 is that I get to travel the world –experiencing different cultures, food, architectural structures & singing for hundreds to thousands of people each night. I still get butterflies right before I hit the stage but I love the adrenalin rush.
The hardest thing is probably being away from home as much as we are. I can’t even remember the last time I was home and just got to enjoy being bored. But this is still an experience I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world
7. Do you play an instrument? (list )
I guess the ones I can imitate doesn’t count? LOL. As a child I started to play the piano but like most kids, I gave up. Now I regret that – Not realizing how important it would be for my career.
8. What’s your favorite place to perform? (why)
There are so many places but I think performing at the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland will always be the one that stands out. It was such an amazing show and the audience…it was like we had them in the palm of our hands. Amazing! If you’ve seen the footage on YouTube, then you know what I’m talking about. The electricity, the vibe…everything about that night was just right.
9. What’s the worse thing that has happened on a stage and what was the best thing?
When you’ve toured and performed as much as we do, there’s nothing we haven’t seen. But worst thing, I can’t really say. The best thing is watching people’s faces as they realize what we do. You can literally see their mouths drop open wide and the look of amazement is just priceless. I love turning cynics into believers in the span of about 2-3 songs.
10. (Who) are your musical influences?
Hands down without a doubt, Donnie McClurkin and Marvin Winans. I tend to lean towards the old school flavor. I’m telling you, they just know how to sing a song. When they perform, it’s like they are telling a story. Very few artists can do that nowadays. I believe when you’re singing, you should always be telling a story and that’s what I try to do each and every night I’m on stage.
11. Name your five favorite albums?
Different Lifestyles – Bebe & Cece Winans
Continuum – John Mayer
Get Lifted – John Legend
BLACKsummer’s night – Maxwell
Full Moon – Brandy
12. Name your five favorite artists?
Just five?! There’s too many to list. In no particular order…Michael Jackson, Donnie Hathaway, Erykah Badu, Joe, Jill Scott, Sade, Jackson 5, R. Kelly, Marvin Winans, Jennifer Hudson, Eric Benet, Whitney Houston, Ne-Yo (I love his song writing), Stevie Wonder, Chrisette Michele, Donnie McClurkin, Marvin Sapp…Please! the list could go on and on.
13. What’s your favorite bible verse?
”But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is , and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.“ – HEBREWS 11:6
14. What’s your favorite character from the bible?
Daniel – a true man of God. It all has to do with his belief and incredible faith.
15. What are your hobbies?
Do I even have free time? Haha – I probably would say interior decorating – I love to see my handIwork!
16. What are your 3 favorite movies?
Gladiator, Forrest Gump, Titanic, Avatar
17. What’s your favorite book?
18. Favorite sport to watch, favorite sport to play?
The Olympics – Summer or Winter…doesn’t matter to me. I love cheering for the underdog I guess. It’s the most intense show of athleticism for like two weeks every four years.
19. What’s your favorite team in sports?
NONE. I’m not really that big into sports…unless you count bowling and ping-pong! Lol But I do love watching track and field.
20. Who is your favorite athlete/s?
Usain Bolt. I have to represent for my home!
21. What’s your favorite historical sports moment?
When Usain Bolt broke the world record
22. What are the most unique items you travel with?
I always pack my own laundry detergent – TIDE!!!
23. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Not that I’m OCD or anything, but I like a clean house. Ok, maybe I’m a little OCD. Everything needs to be in its place. I can never leave for a tour without first cleaning the house.
24. Who is your hero? (not parent)
Martin Luther King Jr.
25. What is your view of life?
Forrest Gump said it best. Or maybe it was his momma who said it best…“Life is like a box of chocolates – You never know what your gonna get.“ Better yet –„Treat each day as if it’s your last and live it to the fullest.“